Culture Pop by Kara Rota
Al and Tipper Gore to separate after 40 years of marriage
Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 at 02:25 PM
- Wilson's World Series Beard- I mean bid
- Emma Donoghue reads an excerpt of 'Room' at the Irish Arts Center
- Stephen Colbert testifies before Congress on the plight of migrant workers
- Five Books to Read This Fall
- Season 4 of Mad Men wins over new fans and nostalgic viewers alike
Al Gore, former Vice President to Bill Clinton and environmental advocate, and his wife Tipper are separating after 40 years of marriage, according to an e-mail circulated today by the former couple, which stated,
“We are announcing today that after a great deal of thought and discussion, we have decided to separate.
“This is very much a mutual and mutually supportive decision that we have made together following a process of long and careful consideration. We ask for respect for our privacy and that of our family, and we do not intend to comment further.”
The couple met at a high school graduation dance and were married on May 19, 1970.
Born Mary Elizabeth Aitcheson, Tipper is known as a professional photographer and for her work with the Parents Music Resource Center. The Gores have four adult children: Karenna, Kristin, Sarah and Albert III.
Fan of Irish Central? Subscribe to our sister publication, Irish America magazine, by calling 1-800-582-6642 See more: Irish Politics