Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Very much in love - Rory McIlroy and Caroline Wozniacki’s new nickname ‘'Wozzilroy'
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Rory McIlroy is a bona fide celebrity now. He and girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki have joined the ranks of Brangelina and Tomkat with their own couples’ nickname - “wozzilroy.”
The 22 year old golfer, who recently won the US Open, coined the nickname himself when he presented girlfriend Wozniacki a golf club that was inscribed with the combination of their two surnames. The nickname was created by the couple themselves instead of short-breathed fans, though it is nonetheless endearing.
The playful exchange was documented on Twitter when Wozniacki tweeted a picture of the club with the message “Here is my new club @McilroyRory made for me'.” The two went on to create a hashtag for the new nickname and tweeted back and forth to each other:
Rory McIlroy says Tiger Woods will never return to a top ranked position
US Open champ Rory McIlroy set to skip Irish Open to recreate 2011’s triumph
About Rory McIlroy
McIlroy tweeted back to Wozniacki, a the world’s top ranked tennis player, “Where’s my racket?!” To which she replied, “'@McIlroyRory your RACQUETS are on the way;) lol.. Yonex are already working on them:) #wozzilroy' .”
Does the new nickname mean there are wedding bells in the near future for Wozzilroy? Doubtful as the two have only been dating for a few months following McIlroy’s split with childhood sweetheart Holly Sweeney. McIlroy has been quoted as saying that Wozniacki has “got a great work ethic and it's something I can probably learn a lot from” of his equally athletic beau.