Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Shane MacGowan was so drunk while filming the video for 'Fairytale of New York' that Matt Dillon had to hold him up
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 at 08:26 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Matt said: "There was a pile of drinking going on. That's The Pogues - drinking.
"Even if I'd wanted to catch up, I couldn't because they were so out there.
"Shane was pretty liquored-up, so when I was holding his arm, he could have gone down the stairs."
Shane - who turned 55 Christmas Day, admitted the policemen were not impressed at his drunkenness while filming the video in their station in 1987.
He said: "We nearly all got arrested because we did the jail scenes in the nick and we were all really p****d."
The festive classic also features the late singer Kirsty MacColl and was the most played Christmas song on UK radio in 2012.