Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Shane MacGowan was so drunk while filming the video for 'Fairytale of New York' that Matt Dillon had to hold him up
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2012 at 08:26 AM
- Niall Horan says eating Irish sausages and playing Croke Park will be ‘biggest moment’ in One Direction career
- One Direction's boys claim their tour bus is surprisingly boring
- Demi Moore wants Ashton Kutcher to pay for her New York home renovations
- Christine Quinn and Khloe Kardashian almost wore same wedding dress - 'I was devastated because that was my dress!' says mayoral hopeful
- Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott gave her a 3-carat diamond ring to mark their seventh wedding anniversary
Matt said: "There was a pile of drinking going on. That's The Pogues - drinking.
"Even if I'd wanted to catch up, I couldn't because they were so out there.
"Shane was pretty liquored-up, so when I was holding his arm, he could have gone down the stairs."
Shane - who turned 55 Christmas Day, admitted the policemen were not impressed at his drunkenness while filming the video in their station in 1987.
He said: "We nearly all got arrested because we did the jail scenes in the nick and we were all really p****d."
The festive classic also features the late singer Kirsty MacColl and was the most played Christmas song on UK radio in 2012.