Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Secretariat a winner for gloomy Americans today, just like in 1974
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 at 09:20 PM
- ‘Twilight’ couple Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson had reportedly grown apart
- ‘X Factor’ judge Demi Lovato is having her tonsils out this summer
- Lindsay Lohan allegedly struggling with her latest stint in rehab
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart reportedly going their separate ways after latest split
- ‘One Direction’ lothario Harry Styles is reportedly being romantically pursued by Ke$ha and Rihanna
If you want a feel good movie in your life "Secretariat" is the one to see.
Big Red as he was known, cheered up a generation of horse goers and ordinary Americans when he ran away with the Triple Crown in 1974.
Monty Roberts, the horse whisperer once said that the "outside of a horse does good for the inside of a man"
Thus it is with Secretariat, a story of a horse who transformed the horse racing world with his brilliance.
The back story of how the owner lost a coin toss and still ended up with Secretariat then had to fight to keep him when hard times hit is heartwarming.
Penny Chenery was a woman ahead of her time and as played by Diane Lane, who will surely be Oscar-nominated, she certainly had the guts to stand up in a men's only world.
We are in troubled times again yet, looking back on Secretariat we can realize that sometimes a heartwarming story can move us and teach us about the possibilities of life rather than the drawbacks.
Secretariat just went out and won. In Nike parlance he would say to Americans today 'Just Do It"
The pity is we don't have a Secretariat right now but in this movie we can certainly glimpse what it was a like when a superstar horse was around.
Quite simply it made America feel better.