Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Ryan O'Neal's prostate cancer prognosis is reportedly "very grim"
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 09:48 AM
- Bradley Cooper is ‘grateful for’ 'The Hangover' franchise
- George Clooney’s girlfriend Stacy Keibler wants to star in a romantic comedy
- ‘Suddenly Susan’ star Brooke Shields has overcome her fear of talk shows
- Sinead O’Connor gets kicked off dating website for her dirty talk
- Kristen Stewart is leaning on her female friends following her split from Robert Pattinson
A family insider told RadarOnline.com: "Ryan's overall prognosis is very grim. Ryan will most likely begin to suffer from excruciating bone pain, and will need to be treated aggressively with the proper medication when it gets to that point. Ryan's cancer sadly isn't curable, but his symptoms will be treated. He could choose to undergo chemotherapy if the cancer continues to grow and spread."
The 'Love Story' actor - who lost his partner Farrah Fawcett to cancer in 2009 - recently revealed he was "stunned" to be diagnosed with the disease, but he admitted feeling "fortunate" that the condition was spotted early because it will improve his chances of a full recovery.
In a statement, he said: "Recently I was diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer. Although I was shocked and stunned by the news, I feel fortunate that it was detected early and according to my extraordinary team of doctors the prognosis is positive for a full recovery.
"I am deeply grateful for the support of my friends and family during this time, and I urge everyone to get regular check-ups, as early detection is the best defense against this horrible disease that has afflicted so many."