Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Robert Redford says Hollywood wasn't "risky" enough for him
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaffrey
- John Travolta's was upset 'Look Who's Talking' costar Kirstie Alley flirted with him
The 'Horse Whisperer' star admits the majority of his big blockbusters were "fun," but they "didn't totally satisfy" his acting needs, which is why he set up the annual Sundance Film Festival in the US to showcase new low-budget projects from independent filmmakers.
He told BANG Showbiz: "You could say I've been fortunate enough to work both sides of the aisle, starting early on in my career working in large Hollywood films. Most of which were fun and great.
"But it didn't totally satisfy what need I had, which was something more risky, more low budget, which is why I started Sundance, to include those people that may be shut out by the mainstream thinking. That would increase the respect for film. That's how it all began."
The 75-year-old actor believes there is a "hunger" for low-budget movies and he thought his home town was the ideal location to establish such an event because of its "independence and diversity."
Speaking at the Sundance London Film & Music Festival at London's The O2 last week, he added: "My country is known for it's diversity, and independence and diversity would come together. This diversity was not available in the mainstream. That's entertainment, but not at the expense of the more humanistic side of cinema. That's where we are. It's basically enlarging, it's not to deny those films because they're satisfying on a worldwide basis, I just feel that there's a hunger for these kind of films, and that's what we represent."
Latest Gossip Stories
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaf...
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"...
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show...
- Noel Gallagher thinks "embarrassing" Miley Cyrus has put female artists back "five years"...
- John Travolta's was upset 'Look Who's Talking' costar Kirstie Alley flirted with him...