Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Robert Pattinson thinks American’s want a royal family
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 10:56 AM
- “Dracula” star Jonathan Rhys Meyers spotted partying in London nightclubs
- Tragic “Fast and Furious” star Paul Walker proud of his Irish roots
- Orlando Bloom is dating 'Lord of the Rings' co-star Liv Tyler
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are planning a festive break in France
- Lindsay Lohan is reportedly dating Liam Neeson's son Michael
The 'Twilight' hunk has likened the mass interest in his split from Kristen Stewart to the public's obsession with the British royal family and thinks he's being held to an elevated status in the media.
Speaking at the TimesTalks Presents: David Cronenberg and Robert Pattinson event at The Times Center in New York, Robert - who was born in London, England - awkwardly mused: "I think it's because America really wants to have a royal family. You want to have a democratic royal family. It's a meritocratic version of it, sort of, actually, no it's not at all."
TV host David Carr replied: "So if you and [Kristen] have trouble, it's like [Prince] Charles and Di [Princess Diana] having trouble."
The crowd responded to the controversial remark with boos and hisses, but David joked: "I wasn't really going there, just so you know."
Robert - whose girlfriend's affair with her married 'Snow White and the Huntsman' director Rupert Sanders has been highly scrutinized in the media - looked embarrassed and muttered that he "wouldn't go that far" as to compare himself to the Prince of Wales and the late princess, who died in a car crash in 1997.
The 26-year-old actor was promoting his new thriller 'Cosmopolis' with director David Cronenberg.
Be the first to make a comment.
Latest Gossip Stories
- U2 pays tribute to South African leader at screening of “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”...
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are planning a festive break in France...
- Lindsay Lohan is reportedly dating Liam Neeson's son Michael...
- Colin Farrell thinks there’s a double standard for women when it comes to bad behavior...
- Jamie Dornan will be great in “Fifty Shades of Gray” says Charlie Hunnam...