Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Prince Charles and Sir Paul McCartney paid tribute to a sick Duke of Edinburgh at the Diamond Jubilee celebration
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 at 10:49 AM
- Christine Quinn and Khloe Kardashian almost wore same wedding dress - 'I was devastated because that was my dress!' says mayoral hopeful
- Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott gave her a 3-carat diamond ring to mark their seventh wedding anniversary
- Denise Richards has retained custody of Brooke Mueller and Charlie Sheen's sons
- ‘X Factor’ judge Demi Lovato got a new tattoo by Bang Bang
- Carey Mulligan and ‘The Great Gatsby’ cast dazzle on Cannes red carpet
|Sir Paul McCartney|
Speaking about the Queen's husband who was in hospital just miles away from Buckingham Palace, he told the crowds that his absence put a dampener on the event.
He admitted: The only sad thing about tonight is that my father cannot be here with us because, unfortunately, he's been taken unwell. If we shout loud enough he might just be able to hear us in hospital."
Sir Paul, who was closing the concert with three songs, wished the Duke well, during his set.
He said: "We all send our best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hear he's not too bad."
The 90-year-old Duke was taken to King Edward VII hospital in the capital city from Windsor Castle as a "precautionary measure" after developing a bladder infection.
Take That star Robbie Williams opened the show with his track 'Let Me Entertain You' while Cheryl Cole and Gary Barlow performed a duet of 'Need You Now'.
Other young celebrities entertaining the famous family included Kylie Minogue, Will.i.am Jessie J, JLS and Ed Sheeran.
While veterans Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Tom Jones, Sir Elton John, Dame Shirley Bassey and Grace Jones also took to the stage to mark Her Majesty's 60 years on the throne.