Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Peter Capaldi named as 12th Doctor Who to replace Matt Smith
Posted on Monday, August 05, 2013 at 09:51 AM
- Ronnie Wood hasn't been able to pin down Niall Horan for guitar lessons
- Tara Reid claims she was glassed in the face by a "psycho" clubber
- Amy Adams hit Bradley Cooper so hard he needed an ice pack on "American Hustle"
- Lindsay Lohan apologized to Oprah Winfrey for being linked to Barron Hilton assault
- Ellen DeGeneres slammed reports her marriage to Portia de Rossi on the rocks
|Peter Capaldi named the new "Doctor Who"|
The 55-year-old actor was announced as Matt Smith's replacement during a BBC One special 'Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor' on Sunday.
The TV show - hosted by Zoe Ball - featured live and pre-recorded appearances from Matt, previous Doctors Peter Davison and Colin Baker and former companions Katy Manning, Anneke Wills, Janet Fielding, and Bonnie Langford.
The Eleventh Doctor will perish in this year's Christmas special.
Prior to the announcement, executive producer and head writer Steven Moffat, had teased the identity of the new Doctor, saying: "The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who's taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve."
Matt recently revealed he felt the 50th anniversary year was the "right time" to leave 'Doctor Who'.
He explained: "I've had four wonderful years, been on some great journeys on and off screen. Part of me felt it was the right time to go after the 50th anniversary, after the celebration of its birthday, that perhaps it was my time [to go]."
The 50th anniversary special - which also stars David Tennant, Jenna-Louise Coleman, Billie Piper and John Hurt - airs on November 23, exactly 50 years after the show first started in 1963. See more: Irish Celebrity Gossip , Irish Entertainment Blog
Latest Gossip Stories
- Courteney Cox is dating Snow Patrol County Derry musician Johnny McDaid...
- Bono, Charlize Theron among stars at Nelson Mandela's memorial...
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"...
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"...
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack...
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...