Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
One Direction’s Niall Horan flies home to Mullingar to welcome Olympic gold medalist John Joe Nevin - VIDEO
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
- One Direction star Harry Styles spent the night with Rod Stewart's daughter Kimberly
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Patrick Dempsey would consider selling pot in his coffee shops
- ‘Silver Liver Playbook’ star Bradley Cooper is a hopeless romantic
- Niall Horan says eating Irish sausages and playing Croke Park will be ‘biggest moment’ in One Direction career
- One Direction's boys claim their tour bus is surprisingly boring
|John Joe Nevin & Niall Horan pictured in Mullingar on Monday|
The popstar made the trip back to his hometown after performing alongside his band members at the Olympic Games closing ceremony on Sunday night.
"I wasn't going to come home at all, but I had to be here,” Horan told the Irish Independent.
Horan said he has followed Nevin’s progress throughout the games.
“I was at three of his fights. It was the only thing I was at. He is such a legend," Horan said.
"I grew up across the road from him. I've known him all my life," he added.
Thousands lined the streets of Mullingar on Monday for the silver medalist’s homecoming. Nevin and Irish equestrian Olympian Joseph Murphy travelled through the town on an open top bus before they arrived at Cusack Park, the GAA ground of the town.
Nevin revealed he has not let his silver medal out of his sight since he won it.
"I have slept with it," he laughed.
Niall Horan welcomes home John Joe Nevin