Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
One Direction’s Niall Horan flies home to Mullingar to welcome Olympic gold medalist John Joe Nevin - VIDEO
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
- Demi Lovato claims ‘X Factor’ creator Simon Cowell is very ‘humble’
- Michael Douglas' admires how exposed Matt Damon allowed himself be for 'Behind the Candelabra'
- Amanda Bynes feels like she is being ‘punked’
- Channing Tatum releases the first image of his newborn daughter Everly
- 'Man of Steel’ star Amy Adams can't let go of her Mormon values
|John Joe Nevin & Niall Horan pictured in Mullingar on Monday|
The popstar made the trip back to his hometown after performing alongside his band members at the Olympic Games closing ceremony on Sunday night.
"I wasn't going to come home at all, but I had to be here,” Horan told the Irish Independent.
Horan said he has followed Nevin’s progress throughout the games.
“I was at three of his fights. It was the only thing I was at. He is such a legend," Horan said.
"I grew up across the road from him. I've known him all my life," he added.
Thousands lined the streets of Mullingar on Monday for the silver medalist’s homecoming. Nevin and Irish equestrian Olympian Joseph Murphy travelled through the town on an open top bus before they arrived at Cusack Park, the GAA ground of the town.
Nevin revealed he has not let his silver medal out of his sight since he won it.
"I have slept with it," he laughed.
Niall Horan welcomes home John Joe Nevin