Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
One Direction racks up whopping $29,000 in phone bills while on tour
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 09:08 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
One Direction reportedly racked up $29,000 in phone bills while on tour in North America, Australia and New Zealand.
Members of the boy band may have spent a lot of time calling and texting home to the UK, but staying connected online to use Facebook and Twitter added heavily to the phone bills.
"Like most teenagers, the boys are obsessed with all things social media," an insider at Simon Cowell's Syco label told the Mirror.
"They're also encouraged to tweet by management to keep them interacting with fans but Niall and Liam in particular got pretty homesick during their travels and regularly called home.
"When the bills landed on their doormat, the guys were utterly stunned and slightly devastated thinking they'd have to fork out themselves.
"In the end they got called in for a meeting and given a lecture on finances, and how to handle their money.
"It is vital wealth does not go to their heads. Their bills got signed off and the boys will not be making the same mistake again."
Cowell has kindly agreed to pay the charges.