Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Not always rich and famous -- Ben Affleck had to walk an imaginary dog as a child
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 09:32 AM
- Kristen Stewart is leaning on her female friends following her split from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction worry Zayn Malik will miss their gigs because he is so forgetful
- Robert Pattinson found messages from Rupert Saunders on Kristen Stewart's phone on his birthday
- Drew Barrymore is selling her Californian house for $7.5 million
- ‘Bridesmaids’ star Melissa McCarthy got an extra fired on the set of ‘Tammy’
When the 39-year-old actor was a young boy he was desperate to have his own pet pooch, but his mother Chris wasn't convinced he would care for for an animal and so she made him take out a fictitious canine to prove he would be responsible for the dog.
Speaking about Ben and his actor brother Casey, 36, teacher Chris is quoted by the New York Post newspaper as saying: "My conservative parenting style wasn't always easy on them. Ben wanted a dog. I made him walk an imaginary dog for weeks to prove he could take care of it."
Although Chris admits she was strict with Ben and his sibling, the 'State of Play' star has nothing but praise for his mother and respect for the way she raised him, especially after she divorced his father Timothy.
He said: "My sweet kind mother brought out my female side - empathy, consideration, manners, humility, lack of pretension."
Ben - who is married to Jennifer Garner, with whom he has three children, Violet, six, Seraphina, three, and two-month-old Samuel - and Casey had numerous pets as children, including cats, snakes, guinea pigs and turtles.