Mel Gibson has 'more than impressed' the judge overseeing his battery case
By: Amy Andrews | Published Saturday, December 3, 2011, 1:15 AM | Updated Saturday, December 3, 2011, 1:15 AM
Mel Gibson has "more than impressed" the judge overseeing his battery case.
The 'Braveheart' actor – who pleaded no contest to misdemeanour battery against former girlfriend Oksana Grigoreiva in March – won praise from Judge Stephanie Sautner for completing twice the amount of anger management and domestic violence counseling he was required to undertake and she said the recovering alcoholic is right on track with his 12-steps programe, TMZ.com reported.
Mel is currently on informal probation and has been working with Mending Kids International, which, at one time, had a chapter led by his ex-wife Robyn Gibson.
READ MORE:U2’s Bono told Ellen DeGeneres on World AIDs day his own voice annoys him - SEE VIDEO'Shame’s' Michael Fassbender to take over Christian Bale’s ‘Noah’ roleSneak Peek: Daniel Day- Lewis as Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg tipped biopic
The charity aims to provide free surgery for children with cleft lips or spina bifida and Mel – who has spent "far more" time than his court-ordered 16 hours working with the organization - has previously said they have made him appreciate what is really important in life.
He has said:"It gives you perspective. It's one of my faults, you tend to focus on yourself a lot, which is not always the healthiest thing for your psyche or anything else.
"If you take a little time out to think about other people, it's good. It's uplifting."
In March, Mel was sentenced to a year-long domestic violence counseling programe over the incident, which took place in January 2010.
The 55-year-old star was also served with a protective order not to "threaten or harass anyone involved in the case."