Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Mariah Carey’s husband convinced her to join the ‘American Idol’ panel
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM
- Niall Horan says eating Irish sausages and playing Croke Park will be ‘biggest moment’ in One Direction career
- One Direction's boys claim their tour bus is surprisingly boring
- Demi Moore wants Ashton Kutcher to pay for her New York home renovations
- Christine Quinn and Khloe Kardashian almost wore same wedding dress - 'I was devastated because that was my dress!' says mayoral hopeful
- Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott gave her a 3-carat diamond ring to mark their seventh wedding anniversary
|Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon|
The ‘Hero’ singer admitted she was initially wary of taking a role on the judging panel of the pop star search show but ‘America’s Got Talent’ host Nick Cannon talked her into it.
She said: “He really wanted me to do this. I had my own kind of reservations about it because I didn’t know how I would adapt to the situation. It’s a huge deal."
However, Mariah admitted she would have hated to be a contestant on the show when she was first starting out.
She said: "I get really attached to certain people for different reasons whether it’s their story or what it mainly is is talent. Sometimes I see myself in some of the contestants when I first started and I’m glad I didn’t have to do a show like this. I would have hated it!
"It’s been really fun. We’re still in the beginning stages but I’ve learned a lot. I want to continue to be the best I can be in order to help contestants. It’s that for me.
"I don’t know if I have a judging style. I try to speak as frankly as possible, but as kindly as possible not sugar coating the whole thing because that does nobody any good and that’s boring to watch."