Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Mariah Carey hopes her 'American Idol' feud with fellow judge Nicki Minaj will be good for the show's ratings
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 at 08:24 AM
- Kristen Stewart is leaning on her female friends following her split from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction worry Zayn Malik will miss their gigs because he is so forgetful
- Robert Pattinson found messages from Rupert Saunders on Kristen Stewart's phone on his birthday
- Drew Barrymore is selling her Californian house for $7.5 million
- ‘Bridesmaids’ star Melissa McCarthy got an extra fired on the set of ‘Tammy’
|Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey|
She told Barbara Walters in a new interview with ABC News: "It felt like an unsafe work environment. Anytime anybody's reeling threats at somebody, you know, it's not appropriate."
"I'm a professional. I'm not used to that type of environment," before revealing that she hired extra body guards because she felt it "was the appropriate thing to do."
She added: "Sitting there on the road with two babies, I'm not going to take any chances."
Mariah is one of the three new judges to join the reality TV show's judging panel for its new season, which kicks off on January 16.
And the singer admitted that she hopes her battle with Nicki will help to boost the show's ratings.
She said: "For all the drama, I hope it helps the show."
Mariah's husband Nick Cannon previously insisted he "wasn't concerned" Nicki would be a threat to his wife's safety.
He said: "I wasn't concerned. That's exactly what you called it - drama. With drama, it's theatrics. I'm not worried about that stuff.
"I wasn't there. It made for good news. It sounded good, right? Good job, Fox!"