Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
"Lincoln Lawyer" star Matthew McConaughey is done with romantic comedies
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM
- Bradley Cooper is ‘grateful for’ 'The Hangover' franchise
- George Clooney’s girlfriend Stacy Keibler wants to star in a romantic comedy
- ‘Suddenly Susan’ star Brooke Shields has overcome her fear of talk shows
- Sinead O’Connor gets kicked off dating website for her dirty talk
- Kristen Stewart is leaning on her female friends following her split from Robert Pattinson
He told Shortlist magazine: "It's another chapter for sure. I did have to say no to a lot of romantic comedies. I think Hollywood got a little bit like, 'OK, he seriously doesn't want to do any more of these right now.'
"And however the world works, something happened and the message got out."
The 42-year-old star - who is married to Brazilian model Camila Alves, with whom he has two children, son Levi and daughter Vida - knew 'Killer Joe' was the right role for him to refresh his career after he felt sick when first reading the script.
He added: "The first time I read 'Killer Joe' I thought, 'I don't want anything to do with this. I feel sick to my stomach and I need to take a shower.'
"I went back and read it again and suddenly it clicked. Oh, 'this is a riot man. It was exactly what it was looking for. I was like, yeah, this acting thing, it's a rodeo. All right, lets go ride the bull. Let's go shake some s**t up!"
'Killer Joe' is in cinemas at the end of this month.