Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Leonardo DiCaprio has been named the world's highest paid actor
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2011 at 09:16 AM
- ‘Twilight’ star Kristen Stewart enjoyed a night at Hooters in Texas
- Amanda Bynes to under second surgery on her nose
- Channing Tatum will produce new comedy sitcom 'Nicky'
- Oscar winner Ben Affleck says three kids is 'enough’
- Robert Pattinson is renting a holiday home in Canada for the summer after split from Kristen Stewart
Leonardo's films 'Inception' and 'Shutter Island' took nearly $1.2 billion at the worldwide box office in 2010, with Forbes magazine saying in addition to upfront fees of around $15 million for each film, Leonardo also picked up a share of the profits.
Johnny wasn't able to match Leonardo, despite starring in the year's biggest grossing film, 'Alice In Wonderland', which made $1.024 billion at the box office, as well as 'The Tourist', which wasn't received well by critics but proved an international success taking $278 million worldwide.
However, the actor – who previously topped the list after earning an estimated $75 million in 2009 – could return to the top spot next year, after staring in the fourth film in the hugely successful 'Pirates of the Caribbean' series.
Third placed on the list was Adam Sandler, who made $40 million, closely followed by Will Smith and Tom Hanks with $36 million and $35 million respectively.
Leonardo's earnings were over double that of the highest paid female stars - as recently estimated by Forbes for the same period - Sarah Jessica Parker and Angelina Jolie, who made around $30 million each.
Forbes magazine's list of highest paid actors for financial year 2010, top five:
1. Leonardo DiCaprio ($77 million)
2. Johnny Depp ($50 million)
3. Adam Sandler ($40 million)
4. Will Smith ($36 million)
5. Tom Hanks ($35 million)