Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Kirstie Alley claims Scientology saved her from overdosing on drugs
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2012 at 09:53 AM
- Lindsay Lohan apologized to Oprah Winfrey for being linked to Barron Hilton assault
- Ellen DeGeneres slammed reports her marriage to Portia de Rossi on the rocks
- Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman are expecting another baby girl
- Courteney Cox is dating Snow Patrol County Derry musician Johnny McDaid
- Bono, Charlize Theron among stars at Nelson Mandela's memorial
The prominent Scientologist credits the religion and its founder L. Ron Hubbard's book 'Dianetics' for helping her overcome her severe addiction to cocaine despite initially thinking it was a "scam" and admitted that prior to joining the church she feared she was going to kill herself.
The 61-year-old actress told 'Entertainment Tonight': "I thought I was going to overdose almost every time. I would snort the coke, then I would sit there, I'd take my pulse [thinking], 'I'm dying, I'm dying, I'm dying.' Who would keep doing it?"
"Somehow I got through [the book], and I thought either [Scientology] is the world's biggest scam, or I thought this is how I am going to get rid of this hideous compulsion."
The 'Dancing with the Stars' contestant - who is currently promoting her new memoir 'The Art of Men' - made the confession just days after she called John Travolta the greatest love of her life and also revealed she was once "in love" with Patrick Swayze but did not have an affair with either of her former co-stars.
Speaking of her feelings for the late Patrick, she said: "Both of us were married. We did not have an affair. But again, I think what I did was worse. Because I think when you fall in love with someone when you're married you jeopardise your own marriage and their marriage. It's doubly bad."
The actress also previously admitted she fell head over heels in love with John Travolta on the set of their movie 'Look Who's Talking' almost 25 years ago but couldn't act on her feelings because she was married to actor Parker Stevenson at the time.
She said: "Believe me, it took everything that I had, inside, outside, whatever, to not run off and marry John. And be with John for the rest of my life. [He was the] greatest love of my life."
Be the first to make a comment.
Latest Gossip Stories
- Courteney Cox is dating Snow Patrol County Derry musician Johnny McDaid...
- Bono, Charlize Theron among stars at Nelson Mandela's memorial...
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"...
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"...
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack...
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...