Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Kelly Preston has opened up about the death of her 16-year-old son Jett
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 08:24 AM
- ‘Twilight’ couple Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson had reportedly grown apart
- ‘X Factor’ judge Demi Lovato is having her tonsils out this summer
- Lindsay Lohan allegedly struggling with her latest stint in rehab
- Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart reportedly going their separate ways after latest split
- ‘One Direction’ lothario Harry Styles is reportedly being romantically pursued by Ke$ha and Rihanna
Speaking on an episode of 'The Doctors' - which airs in the US - Kelly said: "[Jett] was autistic. He had seizures and when he was very young, he had Kawasaki Syndrome (which can cause inflammation of the arteries and usually affects children between the ages of two and five years old)."
Jett died after suffering a seizure and hitting his head on a bathtub at the family's home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island in the Caribbean and his mother believes chemicals caused it.
Kelly said: "I strongly believe as a mother, as does my husband, that there are certain contributing factors that lead to autism and some of it is very much the chemicals in our environment and in our food."
Kelly also blames her difficult "fast and hard" labor for Jett's problems, and antibiotics she took while breastfeeding him, which gave him thrush at the time, an infection of Candida yeast that has been linked by some studies to the symptoms of autism.
Kelly - who is also shares daughter Ella, 12, and son Benjamin, two, with her husband - said she wants to empower other parents and promote an organic lifestyle with fewer chemicals.