Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Kathy Bates decided to keep her cancer battle a secret because of her work commitments
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 09:48 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
She told interviewer Anderson Cooper: "I was advised to [do so]. I was contracted to go into a movie at that time, 'Little Black Book' with Brittany Murphy, who I miss very much. My doctors at the time, they had to get insurance approval and all of that so I was very quiet about it and had to go back to work right away."
Broadway's 'Once' is more than enough- VIDEO
One Direction now bigger than The Beatles in the United States - VIDEOS
Kathy, 63, says she also wanted to go through the experience on her own despite having a supportive network of family and friends.
She said: "Nobody else really knows what you're going through except another cancer patient. Even though your family's supportive and surrounds you, I just got to the point where I would go to chemo by myself and just really go through it on my own."
However, the 'Misery' star - who successful beat the disease - says she would do things differently if it were to happen again.
She added: "I admire people who have been open, like Melissa Etheridge and women I see walking around facing it without wigs and all of that stuff. I think I'd be more courageous next time."