Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
'Glee' creator Ryan Murphy receives homophobic death threats
Posted on Monday, August 08, 2011 at 05:19 AM
- “Dracula” star Jonathan Rhys Meyers spotted partying in London nightclubs
- Tragic “Fast and Furious” star Paul Walker proud of his Irish roots
- Orlando Bloom is dating 'Lord of the Rings' co-star Liv Tyler
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are planning a festive break in France
- Lindsay Lohan is reportedly dating Liam Neeson's son Michael
The openly gay TV writer has admitted highlighting homosexual relationships and minorities in the musical comedy series has angered many people and they have shown their displeasure by sending him threatening.
He told Deadline: ""I've gotten death threats, yes. I have. I think anytime you shine a spotlight on homosexuality or minorities and you try and say they are as normal or as worthy as acceptance as others, the people who are on the fringe don't like that and they will come after you. And they have come after me. I think it's such a great show for young kids. The values of it, I think, are great."
Celtic handfasting used in first gay marriage performed in New York
Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman costume revealed
'Bel Ami' co-star 'in awe' of Robert Pattinson
However, Ryan won't let the detractors stop him from putting his message across and he admitted the episode in which Kurt (Chris Colfer) came out to his dad made him understand what a difference he can make.
He added: "I thought so you can do entertainment and maybe do something responsible and socially relevant.
That's when I got interested in looking at the impact that we possibly can have and what can we do with that.
I think it's a great gift when I go to those Glee concerts and look out into the audience and see 20 people in wheelchairs who've been driven by their parents across three states because they see someone who looks like them who's cool. That is an amazing unexpected gift of the show that we take very seriously."
Be the first to make a comment.
Latest Gossip Stories
- U2 pays tribute to South African leader at screening of “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”...
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are planning a festive break in France...
- Lindsay Lohan is reportedly dating Liam Neeson's son Michael...
- Colin Farrell thinks there’s a double standard for women when it comes to bad behavior...
- Jamie Dornan will be great in “Fifty Shades of Gray” says Charlie Hunnam...
- James Franco and Chris O’Dowd to star in “Of Mice and Men” on Broadway...