Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Ellen DeGeneres was a parent to her own mom - kicked 'horrible' boyfriends out of the house
Posted on Friday, September 09, 2011 at 09:34 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
She told Good Housekeeping magazine: "My mom had some really bad things happen in her life, and she’s a trouper. She’s tougher than I am, I’d say. When my parents divorced, it was my mother and me, by ourselves in an apartment. At that point, we kind of became roommates. I was 13 years old. She’d been married for almost 20 years, and I watched her go through a tough time, trying to date, trying to figure things out.
Gladys Knight, Celine Dion and Ellen DeGeneres paid tribute to Oprah Winfrey at the Daytime Emmy Awards
Portia de Rossi “thanks God” for wife Ellen DeGeneres every day
Ellen DeGeneres claims she’s related to Kate Middleton - PHOTOS
"She dated some horrible men whom I had to kick out of the house. So, at 13, I kind of became an adult and was taking care of her … watching her struggle. It made me go, 'Oh, you’re my mom, but you’re just a human being.' I saw her in a different role all of a sudden.”
While her childhood wasn't always idyllic, Ellen – who is married to actress Portia de Rossi – says she's never been happier than she is now.
The 53-year-old revealed: "Well, I’m definitely happier than I’ve ever been. I assume tomorrow I’ll be happier than today, because things are great. I have a great career and I have wonderful fans who really are supportive and loyal - because I’m not hiding anything from them. So, on the spectrum of happiness, I’m pretty high up there."