Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Demi Lovato believes going to rehab “saved her life”
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 09:51 AM
- Niall Horan says eating Irish sausages and playing Croke Park will be ‘biggest moment’ in One Direction career
- One Direction's boys claim their tour bus is surprisingly boring
- Demi Moore wants Ashton Kutcher to pay for her New York home renovations
- Christine Quinn and Khloe Kardashian almost wore same wedding dress - 'I was devastated because that was my dress!' says mayoral hopeful
- Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott gave her a 3-carat diamond ring to mark their seventh wedding anniversary
|Demi Lovato (Photo: Dominic Chan/WENN.com)|
The 19-year-old star – who spent three months receiving treatment for an eating disorder and self-harming from last November - feels she has learned a lot from her experiences and is grateful that her loved ones accept her for who she is.
She wrote in her column for Seventeen magazine: “Thinking about how far I have come in a year makes me so thankful. I could not have done this without God and the amazing support from my family.
“Honestly, I am thankful for my life path, including the highs and the lows, because it has caused my true self to shine through. Going to treatment was a gift and I believe it saved my life.
“I learned how to be strong and healthy even through struggles. It also helped me open up about my issues and share them with others. Knowing that my family, friends and fans accept me for who I am is the greatest feeling ever!”
Demi admits her experiences over the last year have made her more appreciative of the things she has in her life and she has vowed not to take things for granted again.
She added: “I am so thankful that I am healthy and happy this year. I no longer take things for granted, like my family, friends, fans and career. Each day is special to me and I take each day one day at a time.
“Sometimes people get busy and forget to enjoy the moment - but I know I will not do that this holiday season. I have worked very hard to get to the place I am today and I am going to enjoy every minute of it!”