Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Colin Farrell to star in movie charting Ottoman Empire’s aid to Irish famine
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 08:49 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
The film, which is at the early stages of production, will be a joint venture between the Irish and Turkish film sector, NationalTurk.com reports.
The $50 million blockbuster will include an all-star cast line up including Dublin born Farrell and Oscar nominated Saoirse Ronan and ‘Game of Thrones’ star Sean Bean.
Ömer Sarıkaya, the film’s Turkish script writer and project manager confirmed the contract with the Independent Film Development Corporation (IFDC).
The movie will tell the love story of Fatih, an Ottoman sailor, and Mary, an Irish native set during the Great Famine, when they Ottoman Empire delivered aid to Ireland.
“With Famine we aim to provide an insight on a lesser-known aspect of this dark and sad period in the world history. Mary will be played by Irish actress Saoirse Ronan while Fatih and Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid will be portrayed by Turkish aces Özçivit and İmirzalıoğlu, respectively,’ Sarıkaya said.
According to the Turkish news website the shooting of ‘Famine’ is to start this October with the film being shot on location in Ireland and Turkey.