Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Chris O'Dowd looked like the Elephant Man when he was younger
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2012 at 09:25 AM
- One Direction's boys claim their tour bus is surprisingly boring
- Demi Moore wants Ashton Kutcher to pay for her New York home renovations
- Christine Quinn and Khloe Kardashian almost wore same wedding dress - 'I was devastated because that was my dress!' says mayoral hopeful
- Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott gave her a 3-carat diamond ring to mark their seventh wedding anniversary
- Denise Richards has retained custody of Brooke Mueller and Charlie Sheen's sons
Thankfully for Chris, the comic actor's success with the ladies increased when he realised they "like to laugh".
He said: "It's one thing to be tall now but I wasn't 'tall, strong and handsome' when I was 6ft aged 11.
"At that age, you look like some kind of b*****dised fern tree. I had a centre parting with curly hair. It was around the time of the Happy Mondays sort of curtains hairdo but mine was really frizzy.
"I was not one for the ladies. I was an altar boy for years. But around that time, I learned that women liked to laugh.
"So that was useful knowledge during the Elephant Man-esque era of my teens ... since then it's been all good."
While Chris has received plenty of female attention following his portrayal of loveable police officer Nathan Rhodes in 2011 comedy movie 'Bridesmaids', he believes late Iraqi president Saddam Hussein - who was sentenced to death for crimes against humanity - would've been just as popular if he'd taken on the role.
He said: "Any of the attention stuff is just because Rhodes is such a nice guy. If Saddam Hussein had played that character, women would have found him adorable. It's nothing to do with me."
Chris was delighted to discover Angelina Jolie is one of his many female fans after finding out from her fiance Brad Pitt at the BAFTA awards earlier this year.
He added to The Sun newspaper: "Brad was walking in front of us on the red carpet and I said, 'Good luck tonight', and he turned around and said, 'Oh my God, I love your movie. We watched it four times!'
"I was like, 'Oh my God, he means him and Angelina!' That's amazing ... that's f***ing crazy."