Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Bono used morphine for back pain --U2 kick off return with sellout in Turin
Posted on Friday, August 06, 2010 at 08:58 PM
- Former Nickelodeon star Amanda Bynes arrested for drug possession in New York
- Amanda Bynes' parents are trying to get her placed under a conservatorship
- One Direction won four awards at the inaugural Social Star Awards
- ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ star Jessica Chastain found it ‘scary’ wearing Elizabeth Taylor's necklace
- Bradley Cooper is ‘grateful for’ 'The Hangover' franchise
Bono has revealed how he took morphine to deal with the severe back pain he experienced after an emergency spine operation.
“To deal with the pain, in the beginning, I took morphine. And like anyone on drugs I did strange things. In hospital, I always wanted ice cream. I drank. I even started smoking again,” he said.
The band had to cancel an entire North American and Canadian leg of their 360° Tour, due to have started on June 3, because Bono (50) injured his back during rehearsals.
His surgery was clearly a success as the band played a sold out gig in Turin's Olympic Stadium on Friday night .
Bono kicked off his comeback set "Beautiful Day" and "Magnificent."
The band also played two new tracks called "North Star Acoustic" and "Glastonbury."
He also thanked the band members for staying with him during his illness.
"This band is like a family. It's a family business, U2. I am the prodigal son. I would like to thank my brothers for their patience."