Bono favorite to be voted Ireland's greatest ever person
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother
The search is on for Ireland's greatest ever person - and St. Patrick is not on the ballot. A national opinion poll by RTE Television has narrowed the numbers down to 40 and voting begins tomorrow night. Bookmakers are making Bono favorite to win
John McHugh, the chief executive of Tyrone Productions, which is making the programme for RTE, stated that using an opinion poll was the most open way of drawing up the shortlist.
A nationally representative sample, interviewed face-to-face, was asked to rank from one to five those they thought were the greatest Irish people, living or dead.
“There are a lot of people that you might think should be there and some people you think shouldn’t,” McHugh told The Sunday Times. “That is what gets debate going. The interesting thing is what it says about what we think is important. There is not an enormous spread of women, it has to be said.”
The nominees are:
Music: Bono, Joe Dolan, Ronnie Drew, Stephen Gately, Bob Geldof, Ronan Keating, Phil Lynott, Christy Moore, Daniel O’Donnell, Louis Walsh
Politics: Noel Browne, Michael Collins, James Connolly, Eamon de Valera, Garret FitzGerald, Charles Haughey, John Hume, Sean Lemass, Jack Lynch, Daniel O’Connell, Charles Stewart Parnell, Pádraig Pearse, Wolfe Tone
Literature: Seamus Heaney, James Joyce, John B Keane, Oscar Wilde, William Butler Yeats
Film: Colin Farrell, Liam Neeson
Sport: Padraig Harrington, Roy Keane, Paul McGrath, Brian O’Driscoll, Sonia O’Sullivan, Christy Ring
Others: Michael O’Leary, businessman; Adi Roche and John O’Shea, charity founders; Mary Robinson, former president.
Who do you think it should be?
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"...
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"...
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack...
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaf...
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"...