Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
'Skyfall' star Dame Judi Dench says acting came to her ‘rescue’ when her husband died
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 09:14 AM
- Ronnie Wood hasn't been able to pin down Niall Horan for guitar lessons
- Tara Reid claims she was glassed in the face by a "psycho" clubber
- Amy Adams hit Bradley Cooper so hard he needed an ice pack on "American Hustle"
- Lindsay Lohan apologized to Oprah Winfrey for being linked to Barron Hilton assault
- Ellen DeGeneres slammed reports her marriage to Portia de Rossi on the rocks
|Dame Judi Dench|
She said: "It came to my rescue, really. I went out to Nova Scotia almost immediately after Michael's funeral and made 'The Shipping News' with Kevin Spacey for four weeks. And then I came back and the day after started Iris and did all of that. And then I immediately went back to Canada to finish 'The Shipping News'. And then I was into 'Pride & Prejudice'.
"People, friends, kept saying, 'You are not facing up to it; you need to face up to it,' and maybe they were right, but I felt I was - in the acting. Grief supplies you with an enormous amount of energy. I needed to use that up."
The 77-year-old star has only had time off from work twice in the last six decades - to give birth to her and Michael's daughter Tara Williams, known professionally as Finty, in 1972 and to care for her late husband - but she finds it "appalling" to watch herself back in movies.
She added to The Observer Magazine: "I think it is always appalling to see yourself on film. I think John Gielgud used to say that he would love to have had a performance of a play he had been in to put on his mantelpiece so he could live with it and see exactly the ways he could have done it better. Because there are always ways.
"In the theatre you can change things ever so slightly; it's an organic thing. Whereas in film you only have that chance on the day, and you have no control over it at all."
Be the first to make a comment.
Latest Gossip Stories
- Courteney Cox is dating Snow Patrol County Derry musician Johnny McDaid...
- Bono, Charlize Theron among stars at Nelson Mandela's memorial...
- Will Ferrell tried to keep Kanye West happy on the set of "Anchorman 2"...
- Vin Diesel comforted by Paul Walker's family after losing his "other half"...
- Paris Hilton's brother plans to sue Lindsay Lohan after ordered attack...
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...