Green Cardby Debbie McGoldrick
- Renewing my nine year old green card having lived in Ireland
- Extending your stay with a 90 day holiday waiver - is it possible?
- Renewing my Irish child’s US passport without getting her American Dad involved
- Having divorced my American wife can I get my new Irish girlfriend a visa?
- I-94 arrival and departure cards in United States will soon be obsolete
As an H-1B visa holder – H-1Bs are for skilled foreign employees working for U.S. employers, with the visa good for up to six years – you really aren’t entitled to unemployment insurance, and in fact you will be considered out of status the day after (if) your employment is terminated. Those without legal immigration status are not eligible to apply for unemployment.
The H-1B, as you say, was obtained for you from your current employer. The visa is employer-specific – in other words, you can only use it to work for the employer that acted as sponsor.