Green Cardby Debbie McGoldrick
- Extending your stay with a 90 day holiday waiver - is it possible?
- Renewing my Irish child’s US passport without getting her American Dad involved
- Having divorced my American wife can I get my new Irish girlfriend a visa?
- I-94 arrival and departure cards in United States will soon be obsolete
- Can I reclaim an old Green Card and move back to the US?
The notices went out in error, however – several Irish were notified and subsequently lost a court case to have their cases processed – and the State Department announced that it would notify new winners on or around July 15 of this year.
Scammers took note, of course. One of the “winning” notifications last week was sent to Evelyn Tiernan, a writer for our sister website Irish Central, who couldn’t contain her joy at finally realizing her American dream.
You are correct in saying that after your marriage, you will be able to act as a sponsor to legalize your Irish girlfriend. You can sponsor her as an immediate relative, which means the processing time will be significantly shorter than the other family preference categories. Her period of illegality here will also be waived, an option not available to those using the preference categories.
With regards to her son, if you want to adopt him that’s a whole other issue aside from how you will be able to help him gain legal status. The adoption process can take time and money, and given that the child’s father is still alive he’s going to have to also be involved.