Green Cardby Debbie McGoldrick
- Renewing my nine year old green card having lived in Ireland
- Extending your stay with a 90 day holiday waiver - is it possible?
- Renewing my Irish child’s US passport without getting her American Dad involved
- Having divorced my American wife can I get my new Irish girlfriend a visa?
- I-94 arrival and departure cards in United States will soon be obsolete
From the information you’ve provided in your letter, it’s probably going to be impossible for you to secure legal status here for your birth daughter, even though you are a U.S. citizen and the two of you have resumed contact after a presumably long period apart.
When your daughter was adopted at birth, at that time you would have surrendered all legal rights to her. Her adoptive parents are therefore her legal parents under the eyes of the law, and that includes U.S. immigration law.
“When you receive your New York driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license,” the DMV website says.