Irish team captain Declan Reilly

Lansdowne Bhoys start the season well against Dynamo and Central Park Rangers


Irish team captain Declan Reilly

The Lansdowne Bhoys kicked off their season bright and early on Sunday morning in Tibbets Park. The tournament was opened by their metro team who played Dynamo SC at 9am.

With the sun not fully shinning over the pitch the boys had no trouble winning the opposition over 3-0. Johnny Mc Geaney got their first goal after scoring a penalty. The second goal came from Kevin Mc Geaney, with Johnny getting the third.

Lansdowne Bhoys second team, the reserves took to the field a couple of hours later at 12pm to play the Central Park Rangers seconds. As the temperature of the day increased the intensity of the game got hotter also. They managed to come away with a 3-2 win after being down 2-0.

Richie Hartnett headed their first goal into the net, followed by two goals from Donal Byrne.

With two wins under their belt on the day, Lansdowne’s first team went out on the pitch to keep the winning rolling at 2pm against Central Park Rangers first team.

The extremely talented and experienced Declan Reilly led the boys on the field in the burning sun. The captain wasted no time in getting right into the game and encouraging his team mates in the back line beside him and all the way up.

The boys dominated at midfield with Stephen Roche withholding CPR from getting a touch of the ball.
Lansdowne had most of the possession, but could not find the net hitting the ball aimlessly over the bar.

Sean Purcell continued to cause havoc in the forward line along side Papa Thioune.

Declan Reilly commanded the back line with right corner back Craig Purcell making endless tackles and runs up along the line.

After keeping the CPR quiet for so long, Lansdowne gave away a penalty from a hand ball in a crowded box following a corner. The opposition hit the left hand bottom corner and scored. CPR's first attack on goal and they were one up.

Just minutes before half time Shay Whelan gave a great pass in to find Papa Thioune in front of goal, who managed to get the ball passed the keeper.

The Lansdowne Bhoys came out in the second half playing the same game.

Neither team showed any sign of threatening the other.

25 minutes into the second half Lansdowne Bhoys attempted to make a difference with new manger Austin Friel throwing on a jersey and making an introduction into the game.

No joy came of the change for the boys. They continued hitting the ball over bar and giving passes into space and in the air.

Lansdowne showed life in the dying minutes of the game with two chances, one after the other. Their threats proved unsuccessful and the boys ended the game with a 1-1 draw.

The Bhoys will be back at 11am next week at home in Tibbets park in hopes of a win next time.


Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:

Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.

Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: