Shay Given won’t play against Poland next month but Irish boss Giovanni Trapattoni has welcomed his decision to come out of international retirement.
Given wrote in the Irish Sun on Sunday that he is now available to the Ireland manager again if he needs him.
He made the remarks after talks with Trapattoni last week following the Italian’s return from holiday.
Now Trapattoni has publicly welcomed Given’s decision and hinted he could recall the Donegal legend for the World Cup qualifiers against Sweden and Austria in March.
Trap told the Irish Sun: “I called Shay to catch up. He told me that I can count on him if I need him, like he said after the Euros.
“It was good to speak to him. He is a serious professional and dedicated senior player who deserves my respect.
“I explained that since the Euros I have placed a big emphasis on giving experience to the new players.
“And that is something I feel I have to do for the February friendly, when I intend to give other senior players a break and give younger players experience.
“As I said before though, it means a lot that Shay would be available to us again.”
Given had said: “I have spoken to Giovanni and he knows I am available.
“He is going to stick with the new players against Poland and I understand that.
“Keiren Westwood, David Forde and Darren Randolph are the goalkeepers in the frame for that game. I wish them well. I am not looking to stand on their toes.
“But, as I told Giovanni, I am here if one of them gets injured.”
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: