The top five must see 2012 Notre Dame Fighting Irish games
As the season kicks off with the Dublin Emerald Isle Classic we’ve lined up the season’s top Irish games
The boys in the blue and gold have quite a daunting and exciting schedule ahead of them this year, which includes the Emerald Isle Classic against Navy in Dublin, Ireland, and matchups against several rivals.
If you can’t catch all the games live this season don’t fret. Here is a guide to the highlights of the Notre Dame 2012 Fighting Irish schedule.
Most games are carried on your local NBC affiliate unless otherwise noted.
1. 09/01/12 Notre Dame vs. Navy, Aviva Stadium (Dublin, Ireland)
Last meeting: Notre Dame 56 - Navy 14 (2011) (CBS)
Notre Dame returns to the emerald Isle for the “Emerald Isle Classic” for their season opener against the scrappy Navy Midshipmen.
Notre Dame may have the luck of the Irish in Ireland as they last played there in 1996 in the” Shamrock Classic” defeating Navy 54-27.
2. 10/06/12 Notre Dame vs. Miami, Soldier Field (Chicago, Ill)
Last meeting: Notre Dame 33 – Miami 17 (2010 Sun Bowl)
The “Shamrock Series” will be held in the windy city this season. This rivalry, dubbed “the Catholics vs. the Convicts” prevailed in the 1980s when Notre Dame was helmed by Lou Holz and a national champ threat.
The team’s first regular season meeting since 1990 is so special that the Fighting Irish will roll out fancy, new uniforms in lieu of the traditional blue and gold.
3. 10/13/12 Notre Dame vs. Stanford, Home (South Bend, IN)
Last meeting: Stanford 28 – Notre Dame 14 (2011)
Notre Dame seeks revenge against the Trees for its 18-14 loss in last season’s Champ Sports bowl.
The Vaunted “Legends Trophy” has been up for grabs yearly to the winner since 1997 and has been kept in Palo Alto since 2009.
4. 11/10/12 Notre Dame vs. Boston College, Alumni Stadium (Chestnut Hill, MA)
Last meeting: Notre Dame 16 – Boston College 14 (2011) (Channel To Be Announced)
This “holy war” features the only Irish catholic schools in the BCS. Notre Dame leads the all-time series 12-9.
5. 11/24/12 Notre Dame vs. USC, Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (Los Angeles, CA)
Last meeting: USC 31 – Notre Dame 17 (2011) (TBA)
Notre Dame ends its season fittingly against a fierce rival. An incredibly popular match up, their first game in 1929 attracted the second largest crowd in history (112,912) and five of the ten most-watched college games on TV.
The famed “Jeweled Shillelagh” goes to the winner.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...