Sports Digest: Future in flux for Neil Lennon and Celtic Players
Lennon being talked about as a contender to succeed Martinez at relegated Wigan
“Playing like that, like we did at Hampden, really topped it off.”
The manager was quick to praise Stokes and Hooper after the Cup win.
“Hooper is the master and his partner in crime Stokes had probably his best game in a Celtic shirt. I had a gut feeling about Stokesy all week but I didn’t realize he was going to play as well as that so I was delighted for those two.
“We got a clean sheet. Scott Brown was huge in the midfield and read the game brilliantly and broke up the play and passed it well. It was a great all round team performance.
“Anthony is getting another contract because he’s a good player. There is just something about Anthony. He looks, in the last two or three weeks, more consistent, better in his overall play, stronger.
“He’s just got that something you can’t put a finger on.”
Stokes, overlooked by Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni again, is keen to enjoy his holidays and get back to work with Celtic next season.
“The contract is getting sorted out and I am very confident about it. My agent has been speaking with the club for the last week or two so I am sure something will get sorted,” Dubliner Stokes said.
“I was happy with my performance but the most important thing was the result. We dominated the game, played well, worked hard and got the result we wanted. We finished on a high and we are all delighted. It couldn’t have worked out much better.”
Unwilling to talk about his own future, Lennon did admit that some players may leave Parkhead over the summer months.
“If they are to go, it’s very sad from my point of view but they’ve given the supporters some great nights and great days,” Lennon said.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...