Ryder Cup stars will play WGC-HSBC Champions tournament in Shanghai
It has been confirmed that seven of the victorious European Ryder Cup team will play at the WGC-HSBC Champions tournament in Shanghai next month.
They will include Luke Donald, Padraig Harrington, Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell, Ian Poulter and Martin Kaymer. The group will tee off at the Sheshan International Golf Club on November 4.
The world’s number one Tiger Woods and defending champion Phil Mickelson will also be on the field hoping to avenge their one-point defeat at the Ryder Cup last week.
Padraig Harrington said the Ryder Cup win has given him and the group a real lift. He said, “It feels great to be part of the winning Ryder Cup team and I hope it will be a turning point in my season as I look towards the rest of the year.
"I have played at Sheshan every year since the inaugural event in 2005 and it is a course I like. I really enjoy visiting Shanghai and love the enthusiasm of the Chinese fans, so look forward to returning every year."
Luke Donald, who played a major role in the Ryder Cup win, was similarly optimistic and said he hoped to up his game at Sheshan. Donald said “After an amazing week at the Ryder Cup, I am really looking forward to the rest of the season.... I really liked the Sheshan course and having finished tied 14th in 2006, I know that I can do well on the course."
The tournament runs until November 7.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.