Rugby Sports Digest: Last minute penalty seals Welsh win
Wales 23 Ireland 21
FERGUS McFadden has vowed to do better next time out after his call-up as a late replacement for Keith Earls against Wales last Sunday.
McFadden missed a tackle on George North in the build-up to the second Jonathon Davies try for the Welsh and admitted as much afterwards.
“They’ve got a big back line but I think our backs punch above our weight and I should have made the tackle, it’s as simple as that. You miss one-on-one tackles at this level and you get punished,” said McFadden.
“We’re gutted. After getting knocked out of the World Cup by Wales, it was a bit of a grudge match. For them to win in the way they did, it’s horrible.”
KEITH Earls has returned to the Ireland camp ahead of Saturday’s difficult visit to Paris and the Six Nations encounter with France.
Earls had to withdraw from the team to play Wales last Sunday after his newly born daughter was admitted to hospital in Limerick.
The Munster center, originally picked to replace the injured Brian O’Driscoll, will now come into contention to start against the French when Kidney names his team on Thursday.
France manager Philippe Saint-Andre has made no changes to his 23-man squad.
“There were hesitations on one or two players but we thought we needed to work together and get bearings,” Saint-Andre told reporters after France beat Italy 30-12 in their opening game.
“We need to be more precise. We’ve already turned our sights towards Ireland.”
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- Young people worst affected by Ireland’s...