Rory McIlroy ends year with perfect finish in Dubai and fifth tournament win in 2012
Ulsterman ends Titleist deal in style at World Tour Championship
Rory McIlroy has ended his 2012 season with another win – and the perfect end to his deal with club makers Titleist.
McIlroy’s last tournament as a Titleist player saw him return a stunning five birdies in the final five holes to win the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.
The Ulsterman won his fifth title of the year after overcoming a remarkable fourth round challenge from England’s Justin Rose who hit a course record 62.
McIlroy scored 66 in his closing 18 holes to finish on 23 under, two clear of Rose with Englishman Luke Donald tied for third with Charl Schwartzel on 18 under.
Set to switch to Nike in a $250million sponsorship deal, McIlroy chose the perfect parting gift for his Titleist backers.
Afterwards he said: “I couldn’t have wished for the season to end any better.
“Coming here with the European Tour’s Race to Dubai wrapped up I wanted to win the tournament trophy too and that’s what I’ve done.
“It’s a great way to finish a great season.”
McIlroy has won the European and American money lists in 2012 to cement his position as the world number one.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm