Richard Branson wanted to sign Danica Patrick for Formula One
Richard Branson has revealed that he wanted to sign IndyCar Series winner Danica Patrick for F1 2010.
Branson's Manor GP-run Virgin Racing F1 team confirmed it driver line-up last week, when Lucas di Grassi was announced as the partner for ex-Toyota man Timo Glock.
However, speaking to British tabloid newspaper, The Daily Star, Branson added that he would love to have put a woman on the grid in 2010 to compete against the likes of 2009 F1 World champion, Jenson Button.
"I would have loved to have had a looker like Danica drive [for us]," he told the 'paper. "She is not only good and quick, she's a stunner.
"I believe there is room for women drivers in F1."
Virgin Racing F1 team principal, Alex Tai meanwhile echoed those thoughts – although he doesn't believe there is a female driver, other than Patrica, that is up to the task at the moment.
"There isn't really a female out there right now who could do it," he continued. "This is a really physical and exhausting sport and they would find it hard to cope."
So do you think there is a place for female drivers in F1?
Post your comments in the forum section now...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas