McGeady the big winner as Giovanni Trapattoni reveals his European Championship team
Hungary side will mirror that for Croatia opener on Sunday
Giovanni Trapattoni has revealed his European Championship hand a week ahead of schedule.
The Ireland boss has confirmed that the team for Monday’s friendly in Hungary will start against Croatia next Sunday.
Trap has gone for the tried and trusted for the final warm-up game against the Hungarians in Budapest.
And he surprised onlookers at the pre-match press conference when he said this will be his team for the Euro 2012 opener in Poznan next weekend.
So Aiden McGeady has, as expected, held off the challenge of James McClean for a starting role in the championships.
And Trap also told reporters that he has every faith in the players selected and suggested they could ‘play together with their eyes shut’.
The Irish boss said: “This is the team which won qualification. They are all in good form.
“We can’t change the team because people are suggesting one name or another. We need to consolidate.
“This team brings a guarantee. They can play with their eyes closed.”
Ireland go into the Hungary game on the back of an unbeaten 13 game run as they look for the perfect Euro boost in Budapest.
Captain Robbie Keane said: “Confidence in the squad is very high.
“We haven’t lost in a long time and long may that continue. The squad has grown in every game in the last year or so and there is a togetherness there which I haven’t seen in a long time.
“I’m excited now and looking forward to this like tournament like everyone else is. But the focus now is on this game on Sunday.”
Republic of Ireland v Hungary: Given; O’Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Ward; Duff, Whelan, Andrews, McGeady; Keane, Doyle.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...