James McCarthy signs for Premier League Everton in $20 million transfer
Irish ace will report for World Cup duty after completing move
Irish soccer star James McCarthy has switched clubs from Wigan to Everton in a $20million deal.
The Scottish born midfielder will join up with the Ireland squad on Tuesday after completing the formalities of the move.
He becomes the third most expensive player in Irish football history after Robbie Keane and Damien Duff.
McCarthy’s deal went through just before the transfer deadline on Monday night.
He will now start Friday night’s vital World Cup qualifier against Sweden as an Everton player.
But striker Shane Long remains a West Brom player despite flying to England late on Monday to try and sort a move to Hull City.
That deal, worth $7million, broke down at the last minute meaning Long’s journey from the Irish training camp was wasted.
Former Irish international Stephen Ireland did move as he joined Stoke City on a season long loan from Aston Villa.
But Liverpool failed to follow up their interest in a loan move for Villa goalkeeper Shay Given.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...