Irish legend Paul McGrath among stars praising retiring Manchester United gaffer Alex Ferguson
McGrath sends accolades to former coach Alex Ferguson following his retirement
Despite being released by the manager, Paul McGrath has voiced his praise for Alex Ferguson, following his retirement as manager for Manchester United after 27 years.
Speaking with Sports Breakfast on Talkport McGrath said, “I’m very shocked this morning. I thought with winning the title he might push the envelope out again so it’s a big shock, but it had to happen some time.”
Alex Ferguson shocked fans announcing his retirement following Manchester’s 20th league title. McGrath played three years under Ferguson and commended the manager’s ability to see the big picture for United.
He explained that, “Not in my wildest dreams did I think he’d be there as long as he has been. He got rid of players, myself included, that he thought were upsetting the rhythm of the club. No one was bigger than the club. Everything he did he did for Manchester United and I think the fans have been blessed to have him there for the years he has been there.”
In his 27 exceptional years, Ferguson led Manchester United to 13 league titles along with two Champions League titles in 1999 and 2008.
McGrath summed up Ferguson’s illustrious career saying that, “What he has done is the impossible for Manchester United. He’s put them on top as a world football team. The respect around the world now that Manchester United has has been built by Sir Alex.”
He added, “It’s an incredible feat that he has achieved and now that the bombshell has dropped, it’s a sad loss for football. I was one of those people who probably didn’t get on with him too well but he showed me great respect after I left the club.”
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...