Graeme McDowell: Rory McIlroy deserved the PGA Rookie award
U.S. Open and Ryder Cup hero, Graeme McDowell, agrees with Lee Westwood, that Rory McIlroy is a more worth recipient than Rickie Fowler for the PGA Tour Rookie of the year award.
Fowler totaled seven top-tens in 2010 while Hollywood, Northern Irish, McIlroy finished tied for third in two majors, the Open and the USPGA. He also won the Quail Hollow Championship in May before helping Europe to Ryder Cup glory in October.
Lee Westwood tweeted that he was surprised by the choice and accused the PGA Tour of “protectionism”. McDowell agreed. He spoke to Radio Five Live saying “You can't really compare Rickie Fowler's season to Rory's. Rory, what is he, 11th in the world now?
"He's one of the most talented players I've ever seen. To win Quail Hollow in the style he did, to be challenging in major championships at the young age of 21 years old, I certainly think he was deserving of Rookie of the Year.
"But, at the end of the day it's just a title - it's nothing. Rory McIlroy will go on, I believe he will become one of the best players in the world - if not the best player - and win major championships.
"I certainly agree with Lee that Rory was a lot more deserving than Rickie Fowler."
McDowell also commented on Westwood’s achievements this year and being crowned the world’s top player.
He said “He's had an incredible year…To do what he's done this year with the injury problems he's had and the amount of time he's had off, to come back and to be better than ever... he's the world number one golfer - enough said.
"He's been so impressive the last few years now, knocking on the door of major championships, winning tournaments all over the world. He's certainly deserving of world number one."
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm