Darron Gibson on way to Everton as striker Karl Sheppard signs for Reading
Manchester United ready to offload out of favour Irish midfielder
Ireland midfielder Darron Gibson is on his way to Everton from Manchester United – and young striker Karl Sheppard has left Shamrock Rovers for Reading.
Gibson (24) is in Liverpool for talks with Everton boss David Moyes ahead of a move from Old Trafford.
The Derry born midfielder has fallen out of favour with United manager Alex Ferguson this season after turning down a summer move to Sunderland.
Anxious to play first team football ahead of the Euro 2012 finals with Ireland, Gibson is keen to finalise the deal after just two first team appearances for United this season. If he signs on Friday, Gibson could make his debut against Aston Villa and Robbie Keane on Saturday.
More Irish sports news from IrishCentral
“Talks are ongoing with United and Darron Gibson and we are confident something will happen,” said an Everton spokesman.
Irish under 21 international Sheppard has followed Kevin Doyle and Shane Long from the League of Ireland to English side Reading.
The 20-year-old is a free agent after his Shamrock Rovers contract expired in December and has signed a two and a half year deal with the Championship side.
“It was massive, seeing the likes of Kevin Doyle and Shane Long come over and do well, and Stephen Hunt as well, it’s a good thing,” said Sheppard.
“The history of bringing good Irish players through is something that intrigued me into coming here. There was interest from a few other Championship clubs as well but once I heard that Reading were in, there was only one club for me.
“I’m buzzing for it, I can’t wait. It’s been a month since my last game so getting fitness is obviously something that I need to do and then hopefully I can break into the team.”
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...