Boxing legend Gerry Cooney set to play golf for the Aisling Center, New York
Ex-heavyweight boxer to raise funds for Yonkers Irish community center
Former heavyweight boxer, “Gentleman” Gerry Cooney will be playing this year’s annual golf outing in aid of the Aisling Irish Community Center in Yonkers which is organized every year by local bar JP Clarke’s. The outing will take place on Monday October 1, 2012 in Lake Isle Golf Club, Eastchester.
The event has been made possible by the generous sponsorship of Peter and Mary Grandich, through their company Trinity Financial, Sports and Entertainment Management Co. (www.trinityfsem.com).
Along with Gerry’s boxing gloves and photos, they have also kindly donated a wide variety of sports memorabilia from the Jets, Giants, Rangers, Mets and Dallas Cowboys for auction.
“The Aisling Center is very grateful to them for this opportunity to raise much needed funds to ensure the continuation and expansion of the wonderful services they provide to the needy and also newly-arrived immigrants in our local community,” said a statement released from the center.
“Gerry will be a very popular guest of honor, and will spend some time after dinner in JP Clarke’s to sign a few autographs and hopefully say a few words.”
This year the format for the golf outing will be a shamble. This is a cross between a scramble and a best ball. To begin a hole, each player tees off and the team chooses the best result as the position to hit their next shot. The players then play their own ball for the remainder of the hole and record an individual score for each member of the four-ball. The lowest score of the four on each hole is recorded for the team score. There will be individual and team score prizes.
There will be 1st, 2ndand 3rd team prizes. As usual, there will also be:
• Calloway 1st & 2nd prizes
• Individual Nett 1st and 2nd prizes
• Hole in One
• Long Drive,
• Most Honest Golfer
• Ladies prize,
• Nearest the pin
• Draw for 1,500 Cash
• Many spot prizes
Lunch will be served on the turn and everyone is welcome back to JP Clarke’s for dinner, presentations, auction, music and a 3-hour open bar.
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Massive outpouring of support as $65,000...