Emigration is part of Irish history and very much a reality of present day Ireland. From a tiny island on the periphery of Europe, for centuries Irish people have ended up in far flung corners of the world.
The contribution of the Irish Diaspora abroad is often celebrated. Here are just a few reasons why we continue to prosper.
1. We have a great work ethic. We are a race of people who do not shy away from hard labor. Working long hours and getting results is a trait that most Irish people have.
2. We will do most jobs (within reason!). Most people who immigrate, do so to find work and build a new life for themselves. As a result, the Irish have ended up working in and contributing to a wide variety of industries.
3. We are great conversationalists and we are not afraid to strike up a conversation with a randomer. As a result, we make friends easily and foster great connections.
4. We are not fazed by leaving home. An adventurous streak means we are not afraid to leave the familiar soil of home and look to new horizons for opportunities.
5. The Irish abroad have always looked out for each other. There is a great camaraderie and solidarity among those abroad, who provide endless help and advice to new emigrants.
6. Irish people are resilient. We thrive in the face of adversity and a constant hunger propels us to do so.
7. We have a highly skilled workforce; thanks to free education in Ireland, most people were fortunate enough to progress onto third level college.
8. A rich cultural heritage means we are a creative race of people.
9. We adapt easily to new surroundings. Many immigrants arrived in the U.S. with only the clothes on their backs and managed to build a life for themselves.
10. At the end of the day we are pretty laid back and know how to enjoy ourselves. Striking the balance between work and play is essential and the Irish excel in both!
The Irish accent voted sexiest in the world