Irish and Italians have many similarities.
And with Columbus Day here we thought we’d tell you about the top ten similarities -- at least as we Irish see it.
1. Both love pizza.
2. Both love beer and wine - whether it’s Guinness or a fine Tuscany Chianti
3. Beautiful women - between the black-haired Galway girls and tan Italian women, Irish and Italian women are some of the prettiest
4. Large families - see 3
5. Both love sunny weather - In Italy the sun shines a lot, In Ireland -- you guessed it.
Read more Columbus Day stories here
6. Great Italian/Irish Mafia films - good thing these two countries never got into a fight. They’ve given us some iconic films including The Godfather, The Departed, and The Boondock Saints to name a few.
7. Mixed marriages - it’s not uncommon for the Irish and Italians to marry and some celebrities boast both Irish and Italian blood, such as John Travolta and Robert De Niro.
8. Best ever movie about Italian Americans - "Moonlighting" (1987) starring Cher and Nick Cave, was made by John Patrick Shanley who hasIrish heritage.
9. Although both countries have Roman Catholic traditions, the Irish are the only ones who listen to Italian popes about sex and felt the wrath of the nuns!
10. Mixed marriages make great weddings, especially mixed marriages where the food (Italian) and drink (Irish) never stop.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: