Irish derivation: Ó Breathnach
Name meaning: "Breton," "Welshman," or "Foreigner"
Counties associated with the name: Cork, Dublin, Kerry, Kilkenny, Limerick, Mayo, Offaly, Sligo, Tipperary,
Coat of arms motto: Transfixed, but not dead.
- Fourth most common surname in Ireland
- The French government distinguished an Irish immigrant Walsh family in the 1700s for their efforts in the French army.
- The name was used in particular to denote the Welshmen who arrived in Ireland in the wake of Strongbow’s Anglo-Norman invasion of 1170.
- Kenneth Branagh (1960-, Northern Irish actor) ;
- John Walsh (1945-, host of "America's Most Wanted")
- Maria Elena Walsh (1930-2011, Argentine singer and writer)
- Kate Walsh (1967-, American actress)
- Kimberly Walsh (1981-, British singer)
- Norman Walsh (1932-2010, Rhodesian/Zimbabwean air marshal)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: